Friday, February 19, 2010

February Baby/Toddler

I keep the same handout for 3 weeks. The repetition seems to work well with this age group (babies-2+). I have ongoing songs and rhymes that I use each week (I have listed those in a separate entry.) I also read a different book and provide a different music and motion activity weekly.

OPENING SONG: The More We Get Together

OPENING FINGERPLAY: Open, Shut Them

FINGERPLAY: Jack in the Box (another version of Peek-A-Boo)
(Children love peek-a-boo.  Repeated the fingerplay two/three times)
Jack in the box
(cover babies eyes)
Sits so still
Won’t you come out?
Yes, I will!
(throw out your arms)

FINGERPLAY: Dinosaurs
(I used a T-rex puppet that we have from Folkmanis.  The kids loved this one.  I had them practice the different actions and then we did the fingerplay twice.)
Dinosaurs lived long ago.
Some walked (stomp in place)
Some swam (pretend to swim)
Some flew, you know! (flap arms at sides)
Some were big (holds hands high)
Some were small (crouch low)
Some were gigantic (stretch arms wide)
V-e-r-y tall! (stretch arms up high).

FINGERPLAY: Clap Your Hands
(Kids had fun clapping fast and slow.  Did fingerplay twice.)
Clap, clap, clap your hands
(clap hands in rhythm with words)
Clap your hands with me.
Clap them fast!
(clap quickly)
Clap – them – slow.
(clap slowly)
Clap your hands with me.
(return to original rhythm)

ACTION SONG: Ladies Ride from the Wiggleworms Love You CD by The Old Town School of Folk Music
(The children love this activity.  They have lots of fun.  Toddlers that are not on a lap usually jump or sway themselves back and forth. Consistently fun action song.)
This is the way the ladies ride.
Trit, Trot, Trit, Trot. (slowly sway)
This is the way the ladies ride.
Early in the morning.
This is the way the gentlemen ride.
Clip, clop, clip, clop. ( little faster)
This is the way the farmers ride.
Clippity, cloppity (even faster)
This is the way the cowgirls/cowboys ride.
Giddy-up, giddy-up. (very fast)
Yeehah! Repeat.

EXERCISE RHYME: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
(The kids love this one.  We do it three times.  Regular, then fast, and then slow. A favorite!)

BOOK:
If You See a Kitten by John Butler (Week 1)
(This is my all time favorite book for baby/toddler storytime!  Children and moms love it.  It has good participation, sweet pictures, and a fun rhythm to it.)
Won't You Be My Kissaroo? by Joanne Ryder (Week 2) (Worked ok with the smaller group but not with the larger group. The illustrations a light pastel and hard to see.  I shortened the story by using paper clips but even then I was just trying to get through it.  It didn't hold their interest and didn't seem to have enough to grab this age group.  Some of the mom's did kiss and hug baby along with the story which was what I had hoped, but probably won't use again.)
Peek-a-boo, You! by Roberta Grobel Intrater (Week 3) (This is one of my old stand by's.  This is a nice interactive book for younger children.)
Fire fighter PiggyWiggy by Christyan Fox (Week 3) (I tried this one because it has bright colors.  Only the kids were wired and kept standing in front of the book and it was probably to long and advanced for the age group especially with the number of kids today.)

FINGERPLAY: I'm a Little Teapot
(Lots of fun.  The kids enjoy this one.  I do it twice and have them switch sides for the handle and spout.)
I’m a little teapot,
Short and stout -
Here is my handle, (one hand on hip)
Here is my spout. (bend other arm out to side)
When I get all steamed up, (rock from side to side)
Hear me SHOUT -
“Tip me over and pour me out!” (tilt body to “spout” side)

ACTION SONG: Grand Old Duke of York from the Where is Thumpkin? Action Songs for Every Month CD
(The kids love this one.  I use it alot.  I have them march in place and emphasize that they aren't to run around.  If the child is on a lap they get lifted into the air and if they are marching (toddler) they get to jump up and down.)
The grand old Duke of York, (salute)
He had ten thousand men, (hold up both hands for 10)
He marched them up to the top of the (march arms in place)
hill and he marched them down again.
And when they’re up they’re up.
(lift baby up)
And when they’re down they’re down.
(bring baby down)
And when they’re only half way up,
They’re neither up nor down. (up and down)

TICKLE: Criss Cross Applesauce
(I love this tickle.  Very gentle on the back and always gets kids giggling.)
Criss-cross applesauce.
(Draw X with finger on child’s back)
Spiders crawling up your back.
(Walk fingers up child’s back)
Cool breeze.
(Gently blow on child’s neck)
Tight squeeze.
(Hug child)
Makes you get the sillies.
(Gently tickle child)

FINGERPLAY: Itsy Bitsy Spider
(Always popular almost like a familiar friend.)
The itsy-bitsy spider
Went up the water spout.
(Walk fingers up arm or in the air)
Down came the rain
(Flick your fingers overhead)
And washed the spider out.
Out came the sun
(Big circle with arms overhead)
And dried up all the rain.
And the itsy bitsy spider
(walk fingers up arm or in the air)
Went up the spout again.

LAPJOG: Pop Goes the Weasel
(I have a song I like to use for this one but I decided to try just singing it and it worked out really well.  The babies were lifted up on "pop" and the toddlers jumped.  I repeated it twice and the kids love it.
All around the cobbler’s bench
The monkey chased the weasel.
The monkey thought ‘twas all in fun.
POP! Goes the Weasel.
(Bounce and lift baby up with the word POP!)

ACTION SONG: Go, Go, Go
(All time favorite.  I use this song at the end of every baby/toddler storytime.  I use a stop sign and the kids run in place and stop at certain points in the song.)

CLOSING RHYME

MUSIC AND MOTION:
Bell Horses (BELLS) (Week 1) from the Baby Record CD by Bob McGrath and Katharine Smithrim
(Went pretty good. I have them play the bells and then they hide them behind their back and bring them out again.  I played the song twice.)
Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride (SCARVES) (Week 2) from the Lilo and Stitch Movie Soundtrack Disney CD 
(This is one of my favorites to use because it has a nice beat and goes great with scarves.  The kids wave them back and forth and it works as a hula, swimming, dancing or whatever.)
Rockin' Robin (TAMBOURINES) (Week 3) from the Dancin Magic Joanie Bartels CD.
(One of my old standbys.  Nice beat fun for the kids.)

MUSIC CDs:
Wiggleworms Love You CD by Old Town School of Folk Music (Ladies Ride)
Where is Thumpkin? Action Songs for Every Month CD (Grand Old Duke of York)
Baby Record CD by Bob McGrath and Katharine Smithrim (Bell Horses) (BELLS)
Lilo and Stitch Movie Soundtrack Disney CD (Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride) (SCARVES)
Dancin Magic by Joanie Bartels CD (Rockin' Robin) (TAMBOURINES)

No comments:

Post a Comment